October 11, 2008 - 9:00 pm
Darra Russell couldn’t quite pinpoint his specialty on the football field.
On Friday night, he had an awful lot to choose from.
Playing running back, receiver, cornerback, return man and even kickoff specialist, Russell helped Needles (Calif.) spoil Calvary Chapel’s homecoming with a 40-8 rout in a Class 2A Southern League game at Faith Lutheran.
“I think I can do it all,” Russell said. “Whatever the coach needs me to do. I wouldn’t get the yards I’m getting without my teammates.”
Russell, a senior, carried six times for 97 yards and two touchdowns and caught six passes for 132 yards and another score. He also intercepted a pass on defense.
Needles (5-1, 4-0), the defending 2A Nevada champion, rolled up 374 yards of offense, including 205 rushing.
In addition to Russell, the Mustangs got production on the ground from Derek Tye (76 yards, two TDs) and Stevie Kidd (44 yards). Needles quarterback Andrew Mathews completed 8 of 12 passes for 169 yards and two touchdowns.
Calvary Chapel (3-3, 2-2) was held to 153 yards of offense.
Cody Taylor, a sophomore, carried 18 times for 128 yards for the Lions.
• Moapa Valley 42, Faith Lutheran 14 — At Overton, Brad Weiss rushed for 209 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Pirates (4-2, 2-0 3A Southern League) over the Crusaders (4-3, 0-2).
Pirates safety Shaun Hilton intercepted a Joe Portaro pass on the second half’s third play and returned it for a TD to put Moapa Valley up 28-7.
The Pirates held the Crusaders to minus-3 rushing yards.
— Jon Oglesby
• Mountain View 44, West Wendover 14 — At West Wendover, Raymond Velarde completed 12 of 15 passes for 223 yards and four TDs to lead the Saints (2-5, 2-2 2A Southern League) back from a 14-6 deficit.
Velarde threw TD passes of 71 and 45 yards to Cortland LeBoeuf and connected with Tanner Peterson on scoring strikes of 2 and 29 yards.
LeBoeuf returned the opening kickoff 81 yards for a Mountain View touchdown, but West Wendover (0-6, 0-4) scored the next 14 points.
• Tonopah 55, Laughlin 12 — At Tonopah, Scott Thibodeaux rushed for three TDs as the Muckers (4-2) defeated the Cougars (4-2).
Thibodeaux rushed for 164 yards on 12 carries, and Mike Dolfin added 81 rushing yards and two TDs for Tonopah.
Dolfin led the defense with 15 tackles, and Denver Otteson had 10 tackles, a sack and two fumble recoveries.
• Lincoln County 38, The Meadows 21 — At Panaca, Trent Tibbits ran for 180 yards and three TDs and returned the opening kickoff 95 yards for a score for the host Lynx (4-3, 3-1 2A Southern League).
Tibbits had 24 carries and scored on runs of 2, 46 and 10 yards. Pat Kenny had touchdown runs of 3 and 4 yards for The Meadows (5-2, 3-1).
• Boulder City 23, La Jolla Country Day (Calif.) 13 — At La Jolla, Calif., Spencer Sasarita and Chris Leach each ran for a touchdown to help the Eagles (4-2) down the Torreys (3-2).
Ryan Washburn and Jake Phillips combined to complete 13 of 20 passes for 163 yards for Boulder City.
• Round Mountain 54, Spring Mountain 0 — At Round Mountain, Clint Wilson rushed for 209 yards and three TDs to lift the Knights (4-2, 3-1).
Joaquin Ramirez ran for 118 yards and one TD, and Cody Burgraff added 57 yards and three scores on the ground for Round Mountain.
• White Pine 23, Agassi Prep 16 — At Ely, Tyler Watts rushed for 191 yards and two scores to lead the Bobcats (1-5, 1-3 2A Southern League) over the Stars (1-4, 1-3).
Agassi Prep, which had only 16 active players, scored 16 fourth-quarter points.
Rusty Lewis added 109 rushing yards for White Pine, and Jake Henzie had 12 tackles and returned an interception 34 yards for a touchdown.
• Pahranagat Valley 71, Sandy Valley 6 — At Alamo, Taylor Poulsen threw for 134 yards and three touchdowns for the Panthers (6-0, 3-0).NevadaPreps.comIn-depth high school sports coverage